Child pages
  • N. Teaching in Other Programs
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

1. Graduate Studies Program Colgate is primarily an undergraduate college, but it does offer a program leading to the Master of Arts in Teaching and a few select students may also enroll in M.A. programs in academic subjects. Graduate students enrolled in advanced courses and seminars (300 and 400 level) are expected to do appropriate extra work (as determined by the instructor) for graduate credit. Departments in which a relatively large number of graduate students are enrolled may establish one or more 500-level courses and seminars with the permission of the Dean’s Advisory Council.

Faculty members who supervise independent study courses for graduate students will be compensated for each independent study course completed, provided that the independent study program has been approved in advance. The supervisors of M.A. and M.A.T. special projects and theses are appointed by each department chair. Other faculty members may be asked to serve as readers for theses.

Further information on policies regarding graduate programs is available from the Registrar.


2. Other Colgate Programs

a. Teaching in the Office of Undergraduate Studies (OUS) Summer Institute (SI) is arranged by the Director of the Program.

b. Teaching in the Colgate High School Seminar Program (conducted from October to April for eligible high school students) — is arranged by the Director of the Program.

c. Through the Community Student Program, area high school juniors and seniors who meet establish criteria are eligible to take Colgate courses. Students are permitted to enroll in a course once matriculating Colgate students have had the opportunity to register, and they should not be given priority over a current Colgate student. High school students are not permitted to take FSEMs, and access to off- campus learning experiences associated with courses is not guaranteed.


3. Non-Colgate Teaching Teaching and research at Colgate is considered to be a full-time obligation. Faculty members who are considering teaching at another college or university during a term in which they are also teaching at Colgate should gain approval in advance from their department chair and division director. Faculty members who are on paid leave from Colgate — e.g., sabbatical — may teach at another institution only under very limited circumstances (see above, in the section LEAVES OF ABSENCE, Section III.L). Any questions concerning Colgate’s policies on non-Colgate teaching should be explored with department chairs or division directors, and with the Dean of the Faculty, in advance of making any commitments with another college or university.


 Handbook Table of Contents


  • No labels